Monday, May 14, 2012

Bald-Faced Hornet Nest Under Construction

This morning I found some insects building this nest right outside my garage:

When I was taking pictures, they buzzed louder and this guy jumped down to the floor to stand guard:



I think these are bald-faced hornets (a type of wasp) of the species Dolichovespula maculat and they're very aggressive.  Here is a picture of what they are building from Rid-A-Critter in Conyers, GA.  Unfortunately, we'll have to terminate their project.  Fairfax County Public Schools of Virginia have a great site on these insects with some scary pictures!  Most interesting fact? Raccoons will often go after the nests. They're braver than I am.


UPDATE: This is what they accomplished after 12 hours of work:
 Amazing what a little spit and woodpulp can do.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment